It's not about the complexity of the shadows, it's all about the simplicity of the message.
(81 easy steps)
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 15, 2009

About entertainment

Not so long ago, as I was forcing myself to understand evolution theory, I wondered about the role of entertainment as a phylogenetically important event.

Entertainment, the way I see it now, is the nature of evolution itself, probably. It’s what God does when he is not lifting the stone, it’s what he does when he does, and it’s what God does when he forgets, for a while, that there is a stone, that she is God.

Entertainment, entertained reader, is what you like when you don’t want to think about the stones in your life. Entertainment is that thing that doesn’t last long, not as long as our problems, anyway. Entertainment, fair reader, lasting so little and so long, makes us realize that all of our problems have entertaining solutions, it’s just a matter of looking away, in the same sense that God (or me, or you) looks away when he wants to lift or release the stone. Entertainment, stoned reader, is the absence of stones.

Not so long ago, as I was forcing myself to understand entertainment, I wondered about the role of evolution theory as a phylogenetically important event.


No comments:

Post a Comment